ENGN1640 - Spring '14: Design of Computing Systems
- Instructor: Prof. Sherief Reda (SCALE lab)
- Meeting Times: TuTh 01:00 - 2:30 at B & H 159.
- Office Hours: Mon 12:00 - 12:30 pm & 3:00 - 4:00 pm and Th 3:00 - 4:00 pm (either in office 349 or lab 196).
- TA: Xin Zhan. Lab hours: 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm every week day.
Syllabus and class logistics
You can access the videos of the lectures at Brown Streaming Server. You need to use your Brown username/password to access them.
- Overview (1/23)
- Introduction to Quantitative Analysis (1/28, 1/30)
- Lab Foundations (2/4, 2/6, 2/11, 2/13)
- Instruction Set Architecture Design (2/20, 2/25, 2/27)
- Single-Cycle Processor Design (3/4, 3/6)
- Pipeline Processor Design (3/11, 3/13, 3/18, 3/20)
- Memory Subsystem Design (4/1, 4/3, 4/10, 4/15, 4/17, 4/22)
- I/O Subsystem (4/24)
- Parallel-processor design: SIMD, superscalar, multi-threaded and multi-cores (4/29, 5/1)
- HW1. Due Date Tuesday Feb 4th.
- HW2. Due Date Tuesday March 18th.
- HW3. Due Date Tuesday April 1st.
- HW4. Due Date Tuesday April 15th.
- HW5. Due Date Tuesday April 22nd.
- HW6. Due Date Tuesday April 29st.
- HW7. Review HW. Due Date May 12th.
- Lab01 (combinational circuit design). Follow Tutorial 1 and 2 before working on the lab. Due date Fri Feb 14.
- Lab02 (sequential circuit design). Follow Tutorial 3 before working on the lab. Due date Tu Feb 25.
- Lab03 (stack processor + MIPS assembly). Due date Friday Mar 7.
- Lab04 (single-cycle MIPS design).Due date Friday April 4th (& Mar 21).
- Lab05 (pipeline MIPS design). Due date Friday April 18 and April 25.
- Lab06 (memory and I/O). Due date Friday May 9. See Resouces Below.
You will be using the following tools in the class.
- MARS simulator for the MIPS architecture
- Important Note: To make programming easier, click Settings -> Memory Configuration, and choose the "Compact, Data at address 0" model.
- A summary of the MIPS instruction set is available to download.
- Lab resources: